As a property owner, you should ensure positive interactions between you and your tenants. When you do a move-in walkthrough, you can engage in these interactions with your tenant. Why a move-in walkthrough? Well, it affords you and your tenant a host of benefits. Let’s look at these benefits for property owners and a few best practices for making the most of your move-in walkthrough.
Rethinking the Move-In Walkthrough
Too often, the move-in walkthrough is viewed as more of a tenant’s responsibility than something a landlord does. This kind of thinking only leads to missing out on benefits for both parties; benefits that come from allowing a move-in walkthrough. A walkthrough works best for both move-in and move-out. The move-in walkthrough allows both landlord and tenant the opportunity to walk around the property with the intention of looking for potential issues that need to be addressed before the tenant moves in.
It’s a smart move when Schofield Barracks property managers take the move-in walkthrough seriously. Here are 2 good reasons:
- It makes it possible for you and your tenant to trust each other. Walking through a property with your tenant gives the impression that you are a responsible landlord who oversees his investment with care; and, that you are open to your tenant’s feedback, too. Tenants who feel confident that their landlord will respond in positivity will be more likely to bring up smaller issues; hence, helping reduce repair costs. During these moments, take the time to review “house rules” with your renter. These interactions can be the building blocks of a healthy and trusting relationship between you and your tenant.
- It helps in being exact with the deductions from the deposit at the end of the lease. For the move-out time to be smooth, you need good documentation of your property’s condition before your tenant moves in. This can help you better gauge wear and tear and other repair issues and provide ample evidence to support any deductions you make from your tenant’s security deposit.
Walkthrough Best Practices
To make good use of all that a move-in walkthrough offers, make sure to follow best practices. Just like these:
- Schedule a walkthrough with your tenant. Prepare a set time for both you and your new tenant to have a move-in walkthrough in person. This is a great time to have face-to-face interaction, making way for transparency and positive exchanges.
- Use a checklist. It’s important that you give your tenant a move-in checklist, and that you look at it together. After going through it, make sure your tenant secures a hard copy of it. This speaks volumes about how you will be interacting with your tenant. This shows that you are transparent and open with the expectations at the very start.
- Take photos. If you notice any issues that might become problems, make sure to document them and take pictures. These photos will serve as references for repairs and when you will need to check the property for the move-out walkthrough.
These move-in walkthroughs might take time, but there are a lot of benefits that come from having them. And, if your property is not near your area of residence, then these walkthroughs really have to be planned well. In any case, you will benefit from the help provided by someone who is not just capable, but aware of what needs to be done in these circumstances. At Real Property Management Alliance (aka Honolulu), we provide a full range of services that help rental property owners make the most of their investments. Call 808-427-0611 today to learn more!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.